The View Through the Looking Glass

I'm an avid reader and aspiring author with an unhealthy devotion to the written word. From the classics to guilty pleasures and all points in between...I just love to read.   My primary focus at the moment is male/male romance, usually with a paranormal element thrown in. This is a place for me to rave about books I loved and rant about those I didn't.

Frisco James - Lynn Hagen I don't mind a flawed hero or even an anti-hero as part of the main pairing and I actually have a weird kind of lovefor stories with unhealthy relationship dynamics - manipulation, deceit, infidelity, even abuse..if it's written well, IF the MC's have depth and layers AND there's a genuine depth of emotion between the MC's AND there is some sort of redemption for the flawed main they can be some of my favorite type of stories.

This was not that type of story. Frisco started out a tool..and he remained that way throughout. He did NOTHING to redeem himself for his wrongs and suffered no consequences for his actions. Other characters even ended up at risk due to his poor choices.

I just couldn't enjoy this book b/c I found one half of the main couple contemptible. Add to that this is the first couple where I honestly feel like the only thing between them is the mate bond. I couldn't help but feel like fate screwed Recker over :(

It's rare I don't like one of Lynn's books but this one was just not for me.

Below are my thoughts as I read the book so you can see why I rated it as I did:

I skipped Melonee's story (not interested in m/f in a m/m series)so I have no idea who Frisco is but I already don't like him.

Recker...you can deserve better. Fate...you got splainin' to do!

I am on page 12 and BEYOND tired of the phrase bare knuckle boxing already!

Still not feeling sympathy for Leigh. I know I should but I don't.

Frisco you are not winning me over. I am moving from dislike to hate.

Oh wow I skipped hate and went right to loathing. Poor Recker.

i'm going to do a shot whenever "bare knuckle boxing" is mentioned. I'm quite sure I'll need a new liver by the end of the book

Poor Recker...but seriously has he never played sports? Trash talk is kind of a given. Why did he take it so seriously?

Yes Frisco you are scum, glad you know that.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for you, Frisco? Oh boo freaking hoo. Take your self pity and shove it jerk.

Poor Recker :(

Aww Maverick it's not that bad lol.

Recker honey I still think you deserve better.

LOL Johnny! And accurate description is accurate.

We are so close to end of the book. Frisco better feed the multitudes, turn water into wine lead the Jews to the Promised Land or perform someother kind of miacle b/c so far I still hate him and it's going to take a Jesus feat for him to win me over.

Oh Recker don't be THAT friend. Your douchebag boyfriend is NOT worth losing a good friend over. Remember who came and got your butt when you were left high and dry in the no-tell motel and had your back when your precious mate was nowhere to be found? Spencer was ther for you long before Frisco was and unlike your "mate" he's NEVER done you dirty or used you. Spencer isn't being unreasonable; your mate is a tool and no one would want their loved one with him.

If Frisco's "proof" that he's putting Recker first is bottoming I am going flip a table Real Housewives of New Jersey style.

And I need a new table folks.

I have lost my vision because my eyes rolled all the way to the back of my head and got stuck.

Reese...honey I'm not judging your kink but begging to watch your friends get their frak on is a bit much. You are thisclose to being to being the creepy guy who lives in a van down by the river lol.

I'm pretty sure me laughing hysterically during this sex scene was not theintended reader response but I can't help it. There is so much awkward going on it could be an MTV show.

They did not just have that conversation DURING sex...oh wait they did.

You have 13 pages left unti the end of the book Frisco...and I still hate you.

Laughing again inappropriately...this whole scene in the flower shop is a little too much to take seriously.

Oh wow I didn't know Frisco was a bare knuckle boxing champ. Not like that's been mentioned before.

The book is over and Frisco has done nothing to earn redemption :(

Panahasi, Maverick and Ceri's bit at the end, as well as Spencer and Johnny's bits saved this from being a half star rating.

Warrior's Cross