The View Through the Looking Glass

I'm an avid reader and aspiring author with an unhealthy devotion to the written word. From the classics to guilty pleasures and all points in between...I just love to read.   My primary focus at the moment is male/male romance, usually with a paranormal element thrown in. This is a place for me to rave about books I loved and rant about those I didn't.

Claiming A Betrayed Mate - Anitra Lynn McLeod I wasn't really a fan of the new twist introduced into the storyline with this book. I was really into it in the beginning and then towards the middle there was this really confusing and (imo) unnecessary addition to the lore that just muddied the waters. I feel like Nate and Jake had enough built in angst and conflict between them that they didn't need the bells and whistles of supernatural shenanigans. This is a story that really could have been told on the strength of the characters alone. For me personally, I didn't like where the story went after that point b/c I feel like it got seriously off track and stopped being about Jake and Nate and their mating and became about explaining the lore and world building. Plus...I just flat out don't like the "twist". I don't think the story ever really recovered from that detour and didn't live up to all the potential it had, there was so much time spent on it that the story was pretty much over by the time we got back to Jake and Nate and their issues were kind of handwaved away and it just wasn't satisfying. It wasn't a bad book, I wasn't never tempted not to finish but it didn't live up to my expectations or it's own potential.

Warrior's Cross