The View Through the Looking Glass

I'm an avid reader and aspiring author with an unhealthy devotion to the written word. From the classics to guilty pleasures and all points in between...I just love to read.   My primary focus at the moment is male/male romance, usually with a paranormal element thrown in. This is a place for me to rave about books I loved and rant about those I didn't.

Harley's Heart - Stormy Glenn Pre Read Thoughts: I am really looking forward to Harley's story. After what he went through in the last book I am pretty invested in him having a happy ending.

Post Read Thoughts: This was an okay book. It wasn't awful or anything but I didn't enjoy it as much as I have the previous three and there were things that bugged me enough to take me out of the story at certain times. I had a really hard time in particular being comfortable with Miko's characterization...it felt a little too close to the land of stereotypes and racial insensitivity at times and made me really uncomfy. That being said he was a really sweet character and you couldn't help but like him. Harley and Miko were a nice couple but I have problems really connecting with them.

Thoughts While Reading (totally reviewing as I read):

Oh. Oh no. Oh that is...not good. Okay, um, as a POC it makes me incredibly uncomfy when authors write POC characters and then utilize offensive stereotypes. I literally cringed at Miko's first sentence "Harley-chan, you alive?" And the broken English? I am cringing. CRINGING. Ugh. This is starting out on a bad foot with me. I'm kind of tempted to insert the "that's racist" gif here :/

Okay Harley, I would tell you what I think of your mama but I'm a lady >.<

Oh Mylanta...problematic characterization aside I am falling for Miko. I am a sucker for the underdog and he just seems so sweet and...Harley, I hope you step on a million cracks and break your old battle axe of a mama's back >.<

Okay Harley, I have a feeling i know where this is going and I don't like it. Miko gaining a little independence is NOT a negative thing. If he hadn't your dragon of a mama would have stomped the life out of the man and you would have come home to a broken, bitter, shell of a human being.

Akari is Miko's sister. Akari speaks perfect English. Color me confused...

Aww...okay I am a sucker for a kid. Baby, baby, baby :)

Harley I'm gonna need you stop it. Miko has done nothing but show you he loves you and wants you and needs you. Don't borrow trouble b/c you're insecure.

Miko you are a lot cooler than me. I would be FREAKING OUT if a bunch of money disappeared from an account.

What the actual fudge is wrong with Harley's mom? I knew the witch was racist but she's also apparently a freaking PSYCHOPATH 0.0

I'm on page 48 and really tempted not to finish b/c even for someone who loves soap style melodrama...this is ridiculous.

Um...why are we not calling the popo? Somebody call 9-1-1!!!

LOL I am with you Miko. Keneko sounds like a good name to me too. And your family doesn't seem INSANE.

Of course there's no phone.

And I bet Cecil comes into play somehow.

Love scene is hot and sweet :)

Oh wow. We just gonna tell the perfect strangers our life story while being hunted by crazypants MIL, huh? LOL

OH come on, even I know not to just assume it's the good guys pulling in the drive lol

Told ya.

I am 100% on Team Kill Marilyn

PLOT TWIST

I want her dead too! Team Kill Marilyn ftw.

NO. Why are we not killing her? Prison is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. LOL I sound so blood thirsty but dang it...I want her dead.

I am so shipping Cecil and Manny lol. Get some Pringles and get your man, Cecil!

I still want her dead but I guess I have to take what I can get lol.

Warrior's Cross