The View Through the Looking Glass

I'm an avid reader and aspiring author with an unhealthy devotion to the written word. From the classics to guilty pleasures and all points in between...I just love to read.   My primary focus at the moment is male/male romance, usually with a paranormal element thrown in. This is a place for me to rave about books I loved and rant about those I didn't.

John Henry's Beautiful Charlie - Stormy Glenn I read the series out of order *blushes* so is actually the second book I read even though it's the first book in the series.

My major complaint about this book is really nit picky but...It drove me batty that John Henry was referred to as John Henry. I was hearing dueling banjos twenty pages into the book b/c I swear by that point John Henry had been said/written at least 200 times. It grated, very quickly. I know that's an odd complaint but I really, really wish he'd just gone by John. Or Jay. Or Henry. Harrison. Anything but John Henry lol.

That aside I loved this book. Now it did provide me with a couple of moments of unintended humor. First that cover. I laughed for five minutes straight. No. Just no. A world of no. Second, there's a part in the book where Charlie is wearing tiny little jean shorts and no shirt and John Henry is like "This is the sexiest things I've ever seen." No. Just no. Jorts on a grown man is never a good look. Jorts that are Daisy Dukes on a grown man is a visual that had me laughing until my stomach hurt and tears formed in my eyes. True story: I'm laughing again right now b/c I am looking at that cover and imagining those jean shorts.

Unintended humor aside, I have few complaints. Yes the plot was melodramatic (I admit I fell for the red herring *is ashamed* ) and a bit over the top but I dig that. I am a girl who grew up on soap operas and anything that reminds me of the days where I scheduled my classes around General Hospital and Days of Our Lives is cool with me!

Charlie and John Henry has sizzling chemistry and I love, love, love the fact that they were BOTH strong, capable, competent, alpha males. The side characters were great-especially Wren, Manny, and Pops. I also fell head over heels for Charlie's brother Tyler. I do wish that Charlie's kids had played a larger role-mostly b/c I'm a sucker for kid!fic-but overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Warrior's Cross