The View Through the Looking Glass

I'm an avid reader and aspiring author with an unhealthy devotion to the written word. From the classics to guilty pleasures and all points in between...I just love to read.   My primary focus at the moment is male/male romance, usually with a paranormal element thrown in. This is a place for me to rave about books I loved and rant about those I didn't.

A Matter of Time Book 1 - Mary Calmes I cannot express how much I loved this book.

I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to really enjoy it b/c it's written using first person pov and I HATE first person pov. First person makes me want to punch babies, kick puppies and drown kittens. I hate it. I HATE it. *kicks and screams and cries*

The other thing that had me concerned with reading this: I'm not a huge fan of "gay for you".

But but but...this book is so good that after a few pages it didn't even matter because I loved Jory. Which pretty much just makes me like every character in the book b/c pretty much everyone loves Jory. He's the type of character tailor made to pull me in and make me root for him: sad backstory, spunky, determined, independent, fun loving, gorgeous (I haz teh shallow s/times okay), sassy...he's actually thisclose to being a Mary Sue but I don't even care b/c like I said, I love him.

The relationship between Jory and Sam is a roller coaster. There's definite chemistry but between both of their issues (Sam is so far in the closet he's eating Turkish Delight with the White Witch and Jory has some definite moments of "too stupid to live" ) what should be simple gets pretty complicated.

I'm not quite sure what it is about this book that hooked me so. It honestly has a lot of elements in it that normally would drive me batty but for some reason they all work here.

A word of warning: don't read this book if you aren't prepared to read the next one immediately. It's definitely not a case of the start of a series being its own, self contained story. It ends on a cliffhanger and with pretty much nothing resolved.

Warrior's Cross